The clock was made by Charles Brown of Selby in 1846. The form of frame employed is known as an “extended barrel”, a system which has a lower frame to allow a long winding barrel, and hence a long going duration. It has a second, narrower frame for the train wheels, thus keeping their arbour lengths to sensible proportions. Brown made the frame of cast iron, complete with its own legs, and has his name and the date cast into the front member. This, plus the somewhat unusual design, leads to the conclusion that Brown was both the designer and maker.